Thursday, July 1, 2010

Weekend Getaway - Amed

Sunday, 27th of June, we were supposed to leave for Amed at 9-ish. But then my mom called to let me know that Ita and Michelle had arrived in Bali very early this morning, robbed. The bag that I once gave Ita was missing somewhere in Denpasar bus terminal, including Michelle's cough syrup, Ita's purse and money. I actually didn't have time to go to her place as it was 8 when my mother called, but I really couldn't leave for the weekend getaway in peace if I didn't do something about it. Michelle was sick, she threw up before she finally fell asleep that morning, and because all of Ita's important goods were stolen, the poor mother and child only had Rp 20,000 left with them. Moreover, it was Michelle's 6th birthday. How could I possibly grab my own fun knowing that they were far from being happy? So I emptied my bank account, which already had almost nothing, and went there in the rain. At least, there would be money to spend until Ita could retrieve her ATM card.

Vincent's family was waiting for me when I arrived back home, and we quickly had long drive to Amed. However, all the excitement made me really hungry. We stopped at Padang Bai for lunch before continuing the journey.

Amed was nice as usual. But the hotel we were staying in, Hotel Kembali, was super for its price. It is clean, beautiful and the services are not bad.

We were relaxing by the pool until the sun went down. Vincent, being overly exhausted from the late night to morning partying with Marc and all the crazy driving, slept almost the whole afternoon. And then wen had a quiet nice and dinner at the nearby warung. It felt good to get some time away from the south of Bali madness.

The next day, after breakfast, a quick swim and checking out, we got in the car to see the hill side of Amed. Vincent's mother was already excited for it. It didn't last for long though. Because just at the first stop when we saw a beautiful scenery of Amed beach, there was this idea of snorkelling popping out. Marc was obviously more excited to do that than just to stroll around the hills on a car. But Nicole was not very happy. She was looking forward to walk through the mountains, if I didn't get her wrong.

We then went back to the beach side and stopped at a warung that says, "For Rent: Snorkels".

Nicole said to me, "Les hommes!!!" They always do what they want.

I was wondering what she would think later on when she knew that I also went to the sea to snorkel. :p She obviously looked shocked and perhaps disappointed when Vincent brought me the snorkel and fins of my size. She said, "Toi aussi?"

Anyway, the beach was full of medium-sized rocks and they got into our fins and made me hard to move my legs because they hurt. And having seen Gili's incredible underwater corals and fishes, also Karimun Jawa, Amed's sea garden was not very impressive. Unless we did not go to the right spot. But I saw a blue starfish for the first time though! Did you know that starfish was actually quite big?

No comments: